The museum was founded in 1899 and initially functioned by the Archive of Old Acts. Until 1 March 2019 its name was the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków, now changed to the Museum of Kraków.
The institution gathers urban mementos, documents and describes the history of Kraków. The goal of the museum is to popularise the knowledge about Kraków, its history, culture and monuments. It respects the city’s legacy and doesn’t forget about its modern side.
The museum carries out various educational and promotional activities related to the history of Kraków and its vicinity.
It has 19 branches:
The Krzysztofory Palace, the Old Synagogue, the Eagle Pharmacy, Oskar Schindler's Factory, Barbican, Rynek Underground, Theatre Museum, Podgórze Museum, Nowa Huta Museum, Nowa Huta Quarter, Thesaurus Cracoviensis, Rydlówka, Hipolit House, Zwierzyniec House, Pomorska Street The Town Hall Tower, City Defence Walls, KL Plaszow, Celestat.
The shops of the museum offer academic publications, branch guides, journals for children and adults dedicated to the past and present of Kraków.
More details about what’s worth visiting can be obtained from the Visitor Centre at 1 Rynek Główny Street between 10:00 a.m. and 07:00 p.m. tel. +48 12 426 50 60